A few questions about the setting

Have any question?

A few questions about the setting

Postby Hanjié » 19 Mar 2010, 07:34

Thank you for sharing, the program has the most beautiful interface that I've ever seen!! Great Job!

Since I am using a DSLR, Nikon D90, with a sensor size that is not a full frame, I have a few questions about the setting of the program.
1. If I select a camera from the list, for example Nikon D90, do I have to calculate/change the setting of CoC and Focal equivalence for display? Can I use the default setting?
2. The lens, for example AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, should I multiply the focal range by 1.5, equivalent to a 27-300 lens in 35mm format, or should I just type in 18mm in Min focal and 200mm in Max focal?
3. Is the distance in the main screen refering the distance between the subject to the lens?

It would be nice if you can write a menu for the users about all the setting.

Thanks again for your effort.

Hanjié
Hanjié

Re: A few questions about the setting

Postby Didier » 19 Mar 2010, 09:40

Hi Hanjié,

Thanks for your questions, you are right the setting is not very intuitive, I will think about this and try to fix it.

Here are the answers to your questions:
Hanjié wrote:1. If I select a camera from the list, for example Nikon D90, do I have to calculate/change the setting of CoC and Focal equivalence for display? Can I use the default setting?
All cameras in the database should have the correct configuration, so you don't have to change anything.

Hanjié wrote:2. The lens, for example AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, should I multiply the focal range by 1.5, equivalent to a 27-300 lens in 35mm format, or should I just type in 18mm in Min focal and 200mm in Max focal?
In the lens settings, you must always enter the real focal range, so in your case just enter 18-200. The 1.5 factor of your camera is due to the size of your sensor, for the Depth of field calculation this 1.5 is taken into account by the CoC.

Hanjié wrote:3. Is the distance in the main screen refering the distance between the subject to the lens?
Yes if you focus your lens on the subject :). This is the distance between your camera and the point you focus on. Note that if you focus on the hyperfocal distance you will have the biggest depth of field (sharp from half of hyperfocal to infinity)

Don't hesitate to reply if this is not clear enough.
Didier - WinMoDof developer
Didier
Site Admin

Postby tim.bertheau » 19 Apr 2010, 07:19

Sorry for the dumb question, but as I read this it seem that I will have to create two lens enteries for each lens because I have two Nikon bodies; D300 (DX - 1.5 focal length) and D700 (FX - full frame). Is that correct? Thanks in advance, and a great tool.
tim.bertheau

Postby Didier » 19 Apr 2010, 12:15

tim.bertheau wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but as I read this it seem that I will have to create two lens enteries for each lens because I have two Nikon bodies; D300 (DX - 1.5 focal length) and D700 (FX - full frame). Is that correct? Thanks in advance, and a great tool.

Hello,
No, you don't have to duplicate your lenses. The DX/FX format of your camera sensor is taken into account in the calculation thanks to the parameter 'Circle of confusion' (CoC) which is defined on the camera settings (not on the lens settings).
Didier - WinMoDof developer
Didier
Site Admin

Return to Questions